You Are His Joy!
Joyful is the person who finds wisdom, the one who gains understanding.
Proverbs 3:13 NLT
Joyful is the person who finds wisdom (Jesus Christ/Wisdom Personified), the one who gains understanding (by walking with Jesus and following His instructions, ways and examples).
What is joy? Do you know how God feels aboit you? What gives you joy everyday? It will open your eyes to what joy truly is and how you can experience the joy of the Lord! We have heard that "the joy of the Lord is our strength", but what does that really mean? What does it mean to be His joy? What is the difference between joy and happiness? How does God feel about you? You are going to have a expanded perspective on joy after this message!! #joyofthelord #alphatalk #powercall #inspiration
Three Supportive Statements:
- We must understand that Wisdom is a Person, and that Person is Jesus Christ. We see Wisdom personified as "Lady Wisdom" in the Proverbs. We must understand that Jesus Christ Himself, is the Wisdom of God. (1 Corinthians 1:30)
- The Person who knows Jesus is also known by Jesus, and this is our joy. We must realize that we are always in His Presence and His Presence is always in us. In ancient times past, when you were in the presence of royalty, it was expected that you were to be joyous and glad to be in their company. By choosing to "keep a smile and pleasant look" on your face along with godly character, you are choosing to acknowledge the King's Presence and honor it! God is OMNIPRESENT! (All places at the same time) So you are to be joyous at all times, even amidst trials and tribulations! Count it ALL joy! (James 1:2)
- We must own our joy! It truly is our strength! The Lord's joy gives us favor with both God and men. We must not let this life steal our joy! We must think of it as a "life force" of sorts, something tangible that helps us to truly live for God. The enemy wants to disrupt our joy to sap our strength, but we must not let him! (John 10:10)
Study Questions (For Me):
1. How is the joy of the Lord our strength? Why is it?
Questions for Self Reflection:
1. What has "sapped your strength" in the past?
2. How has your joy affected other people positively?
3. What happens when you sacrifice your joy for self righteousness?
- Read the whole of Proverbs 3
- Interesting to note that while we are instructed in Proverbs 3 to seek wisdom and pursue an understanding, we are simultaneously informed NOT TO depend on our own wisdom and understanding. (Self righteousness)
- Our joy is maintained by a constant fellowship with the Lord. In all that we do whether it be work, play, serve, teach etc, we are to do it to the glory of God. We are to consciously invite Him into our experience. This type of divinely inspired awareness will also help us with our earthly relationships.
- The more we look for God's Presence throughout the day, the more aware we become of it and our joy increases. We can experience "days of heaven" if we decide to be more intentional about acknowledging His omnipresence.
- By choosing to consciously live in the fear (stand in awe/reverence) of the Lord and refusing to do evil (repenting/changing the way we live), we are inviting more of His Presence into our day.
- Christ is the Treasure hidden in the world right now. Those who find Him, find joy!... “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
| Matthew 13:44 NKJV
- There is an interesting relationship between wisdom and joy. Those who follow the ways of Wisdom, find joy.
(Joy of The Lord) Nehemiah 8:10 | (Don't Glory In Your Own Wisdom) Proverbs 3:7 | (Christ, the Wisdom of God) 1 Corinthians 1:30 | (Count It All Joy) James 1:2 | (Christ, is the Treasure Hidden) Matthew 13:44 | (You Are Always In His Sight) Psalm 139 | (Life In The Spirit) Galatians 5:16-26
- Was thinking of the Old Testament as "father" and the New Testament as "mother". Was thinking of how the Old Testament laid the law down and set the tone for the household while the New Testament is the fulfillment and completion of the purpose for the household.
- Joy is not "jumping up and down" and being overly excited about everything, it's a "calm delight". It's gentleness, modesty and kindness personified. Joy and happiness ARE NOT the same thing. Joy is a state of mind, a way of living. Happiness is an emotion, a state of feeling. Joy is based off of knowing while happiness is based off of perception. Our joy must be on things eternal, not temporal.
- We are the light of the world and the salt of the earth. God's presence in us helps us to bring knowledge (light) of Him to the world and our way of living and testimony (salt) bring purification to the earth.
Video to Watch:
None this week