Can You Hear Me?
Listen to Full Message Here: https://anchor.fm/thealphatalk/episodes/Can-You-Hear-Me---Power-Call-e2s5tb
This particular message is focused on the art of effective listening. We will be looking at the "art of listening" from two perspectives: hearing other people and hearing from God. We will also discuss what hinders us from listening effectively and gain some insight into how we can become better listeners.
“Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God’s anger, just like everyone else. But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!) For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus."
Ephesians 2:1-6 NLT
You once were subject to Satan's rule because of your ancient disobedience and as a result, you unknowingly lived your life under his command (no "air filter"). However, because of God's mercy, grace and unfailing love, He brought us back under His rule by the sacrificial death of His One and Only Son, Jesus Christ. This death gave us a gift, the Holy Spirit. (the "Air Filter) As a result of Christ's death on the cross, we now have been made subject to the rule of God again, by making Jesus the Lord of our life. We are now able to personally fellowship with God since we have been placed under the right authority again.
We must learn how to quiet our minds so we can properly determine the source of a sound and discipline our tongues so that we can more effectively communicate with others. Understanding the source of a sound is important because it will eventually produce an image in our lives.
Three Supportive Statements:
- We must first understand how we hear. We hear with our natural ears and if our spiritual ears have been opened, we must listen with our spiritual ears. Being that the Spirit is the Source of all reality and truth, we must learn how to quiet our minds so we can hear from a place of Truth.
- Your life is a sum result of the sounds you have listened to and produced. If you are paying attention to the right sounds, the fruit of the Spirit will be evident in your life (Galatians 5:22-23)
- We must understand that sound comes from one of two places: the earth or the spirit. Learning how to properly discern the source of a sound is paramount to our success as a believer.
1. What hinders us from being able to listen effectively?
2. What does our communication look like in the Spirit?
3. How does God listen to us?
4. How did Christ heal people who were deaf and mute?
None this week
How to Discern the Source of a sound according to John 10:10:
- We know the thief (Satan) looks to do three things: steal, kill, and destroy. Pay attention to the following thoughts and emotions. Leads to negative consequences.
- God speaks life and life more abundantly. Leads to positive consequences and fails to appeal to those who are always looking for instant gratification.
How to Keep A Clean Air Filter:
- Spend time in the presence of God
- Check your heart daily (for unforgiveness, bitterness, malice, strife, resentment, jealousy etc. For more insight on what life is like with a "clean" filter vs. a "dirty" air filter read Galatians 5:16-26)
- Spend time with people who are spiritually disciplined, discerning and actively engaged in the things of God
(Slow to Speak) James 1:19 | (God Doesn't Argue, He Strengthens) Job 23:6 | (Wise Men Climb Higher) Proverbs 21:22 | (Listen To The Wise, to Trust In The Lord) Proverbs 22:17-19 | (Know The Source) John 10:10 | (Kingdom of The Air) Ephesians 2:2 | (Life In The Spirit) Galatians 5:16-26
- The wise and spiritually discerned are able to listen effectively to both the person and the Spirit of God.
- We must understand that Satan is the prince of the power of the air and his current realm of authority is the air. We must learn how to take authority over the airwaves.
Video to Watch (How We Hear):
Link to Podcast via Anchor: