Blessed Is The Man (Part 4)
We will be doing a series based on the beatitudes, the famous Sermon on the mount in Matthew 5.
Part 4 #thirsty:
"Blessed [joyful, nourished by God’s goodness] are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness [those who actively seek right standing with God], for they will be [completely] satisfied."
- MATTHEW 5:6 AMP
Note: I recommend you read and compare the King James Version, New Living Translation and Amplified Version to get a deeper understanding of the scripture.
"ALPHA style" paraphrase :
"Full of joy and God's goodness are those who actively seek to do the will of God and heed His instruction to remain pleasing to Him, for they shall be made whole."
The world tells us to pay attention to the way things are and adapt to what's going on while God is saying pay attention to Him and He will make things adapt to us.
Three Supportive Statements:
- We need to what hunger and thirst are. We must be hungry to do God's will. We must be thirsty to hear God's Word.
- We need to understand the difference between soda (man-made pleasure) and actual water(God's delight/word/presence). Isn't it funny that we can drink juices and other artificial drinks (things that make us "feel good" for a moment) when we are thirsty, but our thirst isn't truly satisfied until we drink actual water (the Spoken and Written Word of God).
- We need to understand that it is possible to find joy (in relationships, work, business, creative projects, charity etc) and complete satisfaction in this life while we walk the earth.
Personal Study Questions:
- What is a famine?
- What is difference between hunger and thirst?
Questions for Self Reflection:
1. What does it really mean to hunger AND thirst for rightstanding with God?
2. Do you remember as a child how hard it was for the child to separate from the parents? Do you know how that feels?
3. Think about the things a child would do to make the parent smile and be happy? Think about the approval a child seeks from it's parents.
Food is the will of God. Drink is the word of God. We must "consume" both to be "pleasing" in God's eyes. We must get our "daily bread" and constantly go to the Source of Life for "living water".
(Favor) Proverbs 21:1 | (Famine of God's word) Amos 8:11-13 | (Will and the Word) John 6:56 | (Jesus's food) John 4:34 | (Jesus's drink) John 19:28-30 | (Promise from Jesus) John 6:35
Tune in next week at 10AM EST!